Saturday, July 9, 2011

Day 3: To Grandmother's House We Go!

I expected that it would take me a few days to get used to the sleep schedule here, but I have been pleasantly surprised by how naturally I have adjusted. I suppose it is in part because the people here stay up very late and sleep in very late so instead of having to change my schedule by 6 or 7 hours, it was really just like changing it 3 and a half hours. And then I'm sure it's also in part because even back in the States, I just sleep whenever I want regardless of what everyone else usually does. And to make things even better, I was finally able to take a real siesta today! It's kind of funny, kind of embarrassing, but everyday up until today I at some point fell asleep in the car. But whatever, I can just chalk it up to being a crazy American.

Yesterday I happened to fall asleep in the car on the way to Cova's Grandma's house (Cheres' Mom). She lives in an adorable village about a half hour away called Salas. There are only about on thousand people who live there but apparently a lot of people stop while traveling through to other cites. At Grandma's house we ate a typical Spanish lunch consisting of black rice and squid (arroz negro con chipirones), bollo de chorizo (which reminded me of a homemade pizza roll- french bread stuffed with sauce and sausage), tortilla (potato omelette), and bread. (Can it just be assumed from now on that this is served with every non-breakfast meal?) Meals are served in multiple courses here so I have learned that I must pace myself while eating because unless I'm eating dessert, I have no idea how long until the meal is over.  Speaking of dessert, yesterday we had something that I can best describe as cream cheese and cranberry sauce, but that's still not exact. After lunch we walked around a bit. Salas is very historic so it almost looked like a place out of a movie: crumbling buildings, cobblestone roads, old buildings and churches interspersed with everyday shops and cafes. With the beauty and the tranquility of Salas, I can only hope to retire to a similar place someday. After spending about 2 hours exploring churches, climbing an old tower, and stopping to chat and drink coffee with a group of old folk downtown (one of whom spoke some English with me!), we drove up one of the mountains and saw a famous cemetery and yet another church. I'm getting used to the scenery here in Asturias, but still, every time I am viewing it from atop a mountain peak, it takes my breath away. Of course I've been taking pictures, but my camera just doesn't do it justice. Last night in the evening we (Cova, Cheres, Ramon, and I) went to the opening of a bar in Lugones called Lennon's (it was dedicated to The Beatles - a lot of people here seem to love them). I had my first tapas and a drink called Mosto. It was a non-alcoholic grape drink that reminded me a lot of apple juice. After already eating so much yesterday, I was assuming that the trip to Lennon's was our dinner: small but satisfying. I really shouldn't assume anything while I'm here! The real dinner was served a few hours later at home (something similar to flattened cordon bleu and french fries) and then we all watched part of Harry Potter 3. (In Spanish of course!) I know I've said this before and I'll say it again, but I'm more and more comfortable with all the Spanish spoken around me (and by me sometimes too!) with each day that passes. Finally this morning when I woke up I wasn't dreading getting out of bed and facing the day. Oh, that reminds me... We had the best breakfast ever this morning! Since the parents didn't have to work today, Cheres made hot chocolate and churros for us! Yum!

Since it's Saturday night (currently 9:30 PM), pretty soon Cova, a few friends of hers, and I are going to go to Gijon (another nearby city) to do I'm not exactly sure what. Visit some clubs and bars? Whatever it is, I'll be writing about it in my next post!

2 comments:

  1. ooooh everything sounds amazing. i'm so pleased that you're keeping this blog so i can read about your adventures AND hear about them in person via skype :)

    so, the food there sounds really divine and i must say i'm jealous. i've never had tapas. maybe you can recreate some dishes when you get home...?

    ReplyDelete